A description paragraph is required when you are asked to write about how something looks, sounds, smells, tastes or feels. You should provide specific details of the most important features and use appropriate adjectives to describe attributes and qualities.
|Topic sentence identifies the phenomenon to be described|
|Support sentences give an organised description of its parts, functions and characteristics. Ways of sequencing include the following:
|Concluding sentence (usually unnecessary)|
Useful transitional words and phrases
in the foreground, in the middle distance, in the background, in the far distance, next to, near, up, down, between, above, below, on top of, beneath, left, right, centre, front, back, middle, in the interior, on the exterior, on the inside, on the outside, surrounding
Examples of questions requiring a description paragraph
- Describe the main features of Heteronema.
- Describe the major characteristics of obsessive compulsive disorder
- Describe a single-dish radio-telescope.
- Describe the castle at Vincennes.
- Describe the main features of the lemur.